Aireo could lay almost completely flat, yet his golden-furred tails bunched up and made him twice as big. His hands stretched out while he settled, then in the next moment, he was sitting upright with his ears flicked forward. The party tensed - they knew to trust his senses over anyone else - but he laid back down a moment later and cried out, "There's nothing tasty to eat for miles, is there?"
— Melissa Woodrow, The United
the red wizards did this and now they'll pay for it
Tricks and Pranks
Bro, We Are Jokesters. Problem?
Breath of Magic
very innately magical. mention Magic Tattoos.
cultural significance of tails, rumours about them, magic of tails, 100 years of life per tail
i have 200 aunts and that's how life is
Kitsune tend to have two names: their actual name, and a nickname. While their actual names are straight-forward, not more than a couple syllables of easy to pronounce sounds, nicknames are much more varied and usually presented like their real name. They are usually derived from objects or life the kitsune may find beautiful or cool and can change at a hat's notice. This isn't counting the number of names they may take on to perfect a disguise.
Example of kitsune names and nicknames are as follows:
- Kitsune Male Names: Daichi, Eijirou, Gen, Hideji, Hisao, Jun, Kaneto, Kentaro, Mikio, Morio, Ryuzo, Teruki
- Kitsune Female Names: Azumi, Futaba, Haruhi, Ikuyo, Keiki, Maaya, Misaki, Ruri, Ryouka, Sawa, Tsubomi, Yumie
- Kitsune Nicknames: Azure, Daisy, Fern, Jewel, Lilly, Lime, Meadow, Sorrel, Sterling, Thicket, Winter
Magical creatures imbued with the cunning of foxes, your kitsune character has the following traits.
- Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma score increases by 2.
- Age: Kitsune age at the same rate as humans, but live for centuries.
- Alignment: The majority of kitsune are chaotic neutral due to their prankster nature, but many lean chaotic good as well for not wanting to cause harm through their trickery. Rarely do kitsune turn evil.
- Size: Kitsune are small, averaging around 5 feet and 100 lbs. Their multiple tails and ears tend to give them a bigger presence than they actually fill, however. Your size is Medium.
- Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Trickster's Schemes: You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed.
- Prankster Magic: You know the Dancing Lights cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Charm Person spell once per day. When you reach 5th level, you can also cast the Invisibility spell once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
- Kitsune's Lore: You have proficiency in the Arcana skill.
- Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common.
- Subrace: Just like their animal counterpart, kitsune have a number of subraces. Choose one below for your character to be.
- Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 1.
- Acclimated: Due to your species' life in the snow, you are used to extreme cold and suffer no effects from it.
- Scavenger: You have proficiency in the Survival skill.
- Thick Fur: You have resistance to cold damage, as your body is well-furred for freezing temperatures.
- Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
- Acclimated: You suffer no effects from extreme heat as a result of your species' life in deserts.
- Keen Senses: You have proficiency in the Perception skill.
- Swift Stride: Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.
- Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
- Mask of the Wild: You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena.
- Nimble Escape: You can take the Disengage or Hide action as a bonus action.
- Quick Feet: You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.